Great River School, a public charter school, opened its doors in 2004. Currently, we offer a robust Montessori education for 420 students in grades 1 – 12. We maintain the highest standards of academic excellence with an interdisciplinary, multi-cultural curriculum that fosters independence, critical thinking and an appreciation for diversity, respect and autonomy. GRS is authorized as an International Baccalaureate World School. The IB program is available to all 11th and 12th grade students.
A Few Quick Facts
- Students are placed in one of five levels: Lower Elementary (Lower El – grades 1-3); Upper Elementary (Upper El – grades 4-6), Adolescent 1 (A1 – grades 7 & 8, Adolescent 2 (A2 – grades 9 & 10) or Adolescent 3 (A3 – grades 11 & 12).
- Experiential educational opportunities are part of the regular curriculum.
- Our school is a prepared environment, designed for elementary and adolescents and conducive to deep concentrated work.
- Our teaching practices engage students according to their developmental needs and place an emphasis on the connection between the human and natural world.
- All teachers are state licensed and Montessori trained.