Dear Elementary families,
We are excited to invite you to our LE Work Share event the week of October 23-24, from 1:45-3:00 pm and 4:45-6:00. This year we have added an evening time slot so parents who are unable to come during the day can attend. If you have the flexibility in your schedule to come in the afternoon, we ask you to sign up for that time slot leaving the evening slot open for families who do not have that flexibility.
Both slots are for one hour and 15 minutes. We have found that many students do not need the whole time to share work with their adult. You do not need to stay for the entire time, if you are done early please make sure your child checks out with the classroom guide. If you have signed up for the evening slot and cannot get there by 4:45, no worries, come when you can and stay until 6:00.
If you sign up for the afternoon slot and would like to take siblings home when you are done, please use the change in transportation link and plan on meeting siblings in the cafe area at 3:00. If you are not picking up other students, and your child is done sharing work, you have the option to leave with your child before the end of the school day.
During this time your child will get to teach you their favorite work, and show you around their classroom. Each afternoon has limited space-we hope by limiting the number of children, we can allow more space and uninterrupted time for them to show their favorite work each afternoon. When you arrive, your child will greet you and lead you through the event. Guides will be present, but will intentionally stay in the background, in an effort to make space for your child to lead and shine. Please sign up for only one spot.
We see this event as different from a more casual Open House event; this afternoon is focused on connecting with your child, and letting them guide you around their interests and activities. To better facilitate that opportunity, here are some guidelines:
1. Please choose which one adult will accompany each child.
2. Please do not bring any siblings. This will help give space and attention to the work your child is sharing.
3. While it is tempting to connect with other parents, or guides, please try to keep your focus on your child, and what they are doing.
4. While it is tempting to record for posterity, please leave your phone or camera outside the classroom. Be present in the moment with your child.
4. If your child should ask you to do something for them, first ask questions like “what would you do if I wasn't here?”, or, “I would love to see how you do it yourself”. Remember that your child is very independent in their work here at school, and can ask another child for help -giving that child a chance to practice their skills as well.
We look forward to hosting these events for you and your children. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions or comments!
Lower Elementary Staff